Central European Experience 2013 (Nuremberg to Remich, Cruise-Only)
8 days with
Day 1 Nuremberg, Germany (Embarkation)
Welcome to Nuremberg, where your river cruise vessel is ready for boarding between 4 pm and 5:30 pm. Before dinner meet your crew for a welcome reception. (Dinner)
Day 2 Bamberg
A beautiful UNESCO World Heritage Site The World Heritage List includes over 800 properties with cultural and/or natural heritage of global significanceis medieval Bamberg. Your walking tour takes in the breathtaking cathedral, the Old Town Hall straddling the River Regnitz, and serpentine streets with charming houses and 18th-century mansions. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 3 Würzburg
Known as the “Pearl of the Romantic Road,” Würzburg is surrounded by sloping hills covered with vineyards. The magnificent BISHOP’S RESIDENZ is another UNESCO World Heritage Site. The World Heritage List includes over 800 properties with cultural and/or natural heritage of global significance(Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 4 Miltenberg
Located on the Main River, Miltenberg is a picturesque Bavarian village that thrived on income from river traffic. Its cultural wealth and affluence are reflected in the beautiful medieval and renaissance houses and the gothic splendor of the Merchant Hall shown to you during your guided walk. This afternoon, learn how to bake a local SOFT COOKIE specialty. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 5 Rüdesheim–Rhine Gorge–Koblenz
Pretty Rüdesheim is the perfect example of a Rhine Valley wine town and SIEGFRIED’S MECHANICAL MUSICAL INSTRUMENT MUSEUM is a real surprise. Enjoy a SPECIAL TREAT, then there’s free time to explore the Drosselgasse and pick up some souvenirs. The dramatic RHINE GORGE is the most beautiful stretch of river. Pass the legendary rock of the Lorelei, where sweet songs of local beauties lured enchanted sailors to their doom. Situated at the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle Rivers, 2,000-year-old Koblenz is the cultural and business center of the Middle Rhine region. The Deutsches Eck, located on a tongue of land where the two rivers converge, holds an impressive equestrian statue of Wilhelm I. The Moselle River is some 312-miles long, rising in the Vosges Mountains of northeastern France and entering Germany at Trier. The entire Moselle Valley is famous for its beautiful and tranquil scenery. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 6 Cochem
Visit REICHSBURG CASTLE, which sits atop a conical hill covered in vines. From here the views of the little town of Cochem nestled down below and of the river valley are splendid. Cruising the wide, peaceful curves of the river, it quickly becomes obvious that the Moselle is an important wine-growing region. Most notably, the Riesling grape is cultivated, producing a dry to sweet, floral white wine. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 7 Trier–Remich, Luxembourg
The venerable Episcopal city of Trier is the oldest in Germany and, some claim, even older than Rome! The famous Porta Nigra is the only surviving fortified gate from the original Roman settlement and still gives access to the town center. This afternoon cruise to Remich in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 8 Remich (Disembarkation)
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning. (Breakfast
All This Included
This splendid Central Europe river cruise introduces you to the magnificent Rhine, Main, and Moselle Rivers, as well as to the fascinating Main Danube Canal. Your vacation begins in Nuremberg where you board the Avalon Luminary to cruise the Main Danube Canal, as well as the Main, Rhine and Moselle Rivers. Enjoy guided sightseeing in Bamberg, Würzburg, Miltenberg and Trier. Visit the Bishop’s Residenz in Würzburg, Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum in pretty Rüdesheim, and Reichsburg Castle above the little town of Cochem. Other highlights: attend a traditional baking demonstration.
- Superb dining with meals on board featuring full breakfast with complimentary sparkling wine, lunch with complimentary soft drinks, and dinner including complimentary wine, beer, or soft drinks; a welcome reception, Captain’s reception, and farewell dinner; one sitting with open seating arrangements
- Deluxe cruise in an outside stateroom with hotel-style beds
- Services of a professional Cruise Director
- Onboard lectures, activities & nightly piano music
- Sightseeing with Local Guides
- Headsets for all guided shore excursions
- Inside visits as shown in UPPERCASE in the tour description, including admission charges, where applicable
- CRUISE: Deluxe 7-night cruise from Nuremberg to Remich in an outside stateroom with hotel-style beds
- NUREMBERG: Welcome reception
- BAMBERG: Guided sightseeing, see the Old Town Hall
- WÜRZBURG: Guided sightseeing, visit the Bishop’s Residenz
- MILTENBERG: Guided walk; baking demonstration
- RÜDESHEIM: Visit Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum; special treat
- RHINE GORGE: Cruise through the gorge
- KOBLENZ: See the Deutsches Eck
- COCHEM: Visit Reichsburg Castle
- TRIER: Guided sightseeing, see the Porta Nigra
Cruising: Cabin onboard the Avalon Luminary
To see our key for hotel ratings, click here.
- Cabin upgrades are available.
- Please call for single accommodation price. Triples not available.
- Port charges of $126 per person are not included in the prices shown above.
- In the event of water level problems or any problems of a technical nature, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or to alter the program.
- Included visits and special features are subject to change. If a change is necessary, a substitute will be offered.
- Please ask your Vacations to Go travel counselor for more information.
Terms and Conditions
The prices shown are U.S. dollars per person, based on double occupancy, and subject to availability. Prices quoted for land/cruise arrangements are subject to increase without notice. Once we have received your deposit, land/cruise prices are guaranteed. Air prices quoted via phone or email are subject to increase and are guaranteed only from the time that full payment is received. Also, air prices or air promotions mentioned on this site or on the phone do not include baggage fees imposed by airlines.